AppSignal is a product that helps software developers to fix errors in their web applications, improve performance, and more. We are used by thousands of developers around the world.
Our company is built on a strong foundation of vision and values. We spend time and effort developing and maintaining this. We prioritize impact over ego and status. We are open about our flaws and we constantly improve the way we work. We hope you too are relaxed, honest, and down to earth.
We have been working remotely since 2013. Many of us rent an office outside of our home with a budget provided by AppSignal — this helps us keep work and private life separate. We have team members in six different countries. AppSignal is a growing company. We are fueled by revenue, without leaning on venture capital. We are here for the long run.
About the role
Great documentation and learning materials make a huge difference when you're trying a new developer tool. This is why we want AppSignal's documentation, blog articles, and guides to be among the best in the industry. This is where you come in.
We're looking for a Technical Content Writer to write and improve the content that helps our (potential) customers use AppSignal. You will work with our product, development, and growth teams to develop and maintain comprehensive product documentation and other forms of content that set users up for success with AppSignal.
Improving developer experience
Developers look at our documentation, integrations, and product while (thinking about) trying AppSignal for the first time. We want the developer experience to be amazing in every interaction. We'd love for you to take a leading role in coming up with improvements for our documentation and guides, and get your hands dirty in collaboration with different teams.
Experimenting with new types of content
We produce content to reach developers in different phases of the buying process. This content should be about helping them learn more about our product and enabling them to try AppSignal. For example, you might write guides that will explain how to set up AppSignal for different use cases, or posts that will summarize the benefits of adding an APM to the dev stack.
This is what you have to offer
- Excellent English communication skills, in speaking and writing.
- You can translate complex product information into simple, polished, engaging content, including blog posts, documentation, and product guides for developers.
- You have worked as a technical writer before and are familiar with one of the following: Ruby, Elixir, or Node.js.
- You come from a development background or have developer skills, e.g. you can create a demo project and add AppSignal as a tool.
- You love working in a remote team.
- You have knowledge of AppSignal or similar monitoring solutions.
- You have an understanding of SaaS businesses.
- You like to work in a way that makes the world a bit better, in a team that tries to make things better for developers and ourselves every day.
- This is a remote job, but we meet (under normal, non-COVID circumstances) once a year in The Netherlands so you'll need to be willing and able to travel (expenses covered).
- You like to work at an informal company (no, that's not a codeword for chaos in the workplace; we've been running businesses since 2002).
This is what we have to offer
- Competitive salary, based on skills and experience.
- Budget to rent a workplace, because we believe working remotely can be better when not-from-home.
- Unlimited vacation days (with a minimum of 20 days, most of us take around 30).
- Personal development budget (books, courses, conferences).
- Once a year, we'll make a donation to a charity of your choosing.
- Work in a growing, profitable company with a proven business model and an experienced team.
- Room to grow: There are constant opportunities to learn more and take on new responsibilities.
- You'll be employed directly at AppSignal, through an employer of record, or through long-term contracting based on your location and personal preferences.
We're a company of people from all sorts of education and backgrounds. Each with our own talents and flaws. But we would love to be even more diverse in thought and background. And more diverse in talents and flaws too 😄
We welcome people of all backgrounds, ages, genders, and orientations to apply for this position. Join us if you value a company where you can feel safe, and work together with a team full of diverse ideas. We want you to feel that you make a difference by doing your best work, and that the rest of the team also sees and values that.
If you have any questions about what it's like to work at AppSignal, you're welcome to [contact one of our internal counselors]("mailto:email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org"). Your questions will stay confidential, will not be shared internally, and will certainly not influence your hiring chances.
Why you'll love working with us
At AppSignal we do more than help developers, we try to be amazing in everything we do: the design of our product, the content on our blog, quality of our code, level of support, our upgrade policies, and business operations.
If you like the sound of how we work together at AppSignal, you should apply. Our salaries are competitive and we have some great perks, but our vision and culture should be the primary reason you want to work with us.
Applying from outside the Netherlands
For this role we prefer applicants to reside within the CET timezone. This is a remote job, but we occasionally meet in the Netherlands. We prefer that you reside at a reasonable travel distance (train journey or short flight, expenses covered), but feel free to apply even if you live a bit further away.
This job is closed
You can stay up to date about future job posts by subscribing to our jobs mailing list.