AppSignal is a product that helps software developers monitor their web applications. We are used by thousands of developers around the world. Our company is built on a strong foundation of vision and values. We spend time and effort developing and maintaining this. We prioritize impact over ego and status. We are open about our flaws and we constantly improve the way we work. We hope you too are relaxed, honest, and down to earth.
We have been working remotely since 2013. Most of us rent offices outside of our homes with a budget provided by AppSignal. This helps us keep work and private life separate. We have team members in five different countries. AppSignal is a growing company. We are fueled by revenue, without leaning on venture capital, and are here for the long run.
Your level of experience
This role is suitable for somebody that has extensive programming experience. You’ve been around the block. You know the quirks and tradeoffs of more than one programming language. You have confidence that you can quickly learn new technologies.
We would also love to hear from you if you are not at the level described above but feel continuously learning new technologies is what you want to focus on in your career.
Our tech stack and what you’ll work on
AppSignal processes and monitors 100+ billion requests per month. Data flows from the integrations (maintained by our integrations team) through our data processor (maintained by our processing team) to our database and our user-facing product (maintained by the product team).
We have an agent and C extension, written in Rust. The agent does most of the work and ensures that the data that is collected by our integrations arrives safely at our data processor.
This agent is re-used in multiple language integrations. Most of the work the team does is on the language integrations side. We heavily rely on automated testing and tooling so the team can focus just on the things that are different about each language.
You like working with multiple technology stacks. You love to pry around and learn how programming languages and frameworks function internally. We use the same basic model in all integrations. Applying that model to different languages does not feel like a huge context switch to you.
You work on all our integrations, and new ones in the future, on a daily basis. We try to do as much in the Rust code as we can, so you’ll also implement new features in the agent/extension if they are needed. The work consists of a mix of:
Implementing new features in the integrations We continuously improve our integrations by adding and updating integrations for new tools within a language. Sometimes new features on the product side require the integrations to collect new information from their environment. You’ll work on implementing these new features.
Reproducing and fixing issues reported by customers Our integrations run on a wide variety of systems and combinations of dependencies, which can lead to unexpected interactions. You’ll reproduce issues, often in shared test setups. Then you’ll work on a fix and tests to ensure our bugs stay fixed.
Improving automated testing and tooling We believe in automating as much as we can, so we have our hands free to focus on the complicated (and interesting) parts of our work. You’ll work on tools such as our process monitor and release management tool.
Developing new language integrations We aim to be available for all major ecosystems in the future. You’ll work on writing AppSignal integrations for the next languages we’ll support. Most likely, our next integration will be Python/Django.
This is what you have to offer
- You are a developer with extensive experience that is always excited to learn new languages.
- You like to combine attention to detail with keeping an eye on the broader picture and goals.
- You like working in a remote environment.
- You like to work in a way that makes the world a bit better, in a team that tries to make things better for developers and ourselves every week.
- AppSignal is a remote company. Our team works from home or a desk/office in a workspace nearby. We meet (under normal, non-COVID circumstances) once a quarter in The Netherlands so you’ll need to be willing and able to travel (expenses covered).
- You like to work at an informal company (no, that's not a codeword for chaos in the workplace; we've been running businesses since 2002).
- You like to work in a growing, profitable company with a proven business model and an experienced team (we don't need to chase VC money to survive).
- You like working with developers, designers, and customer care folks.
- You like to develop yourself. Our team and team members receive coaching by a professional coaching company, and we offer a training budget so you can keep learning.
This is what we have to offer
- Competitive salary, based on skills and experience.
- Budget to rent a workplace, because we believe working remotely can be better when not-from-home.
- Unlimited vacation days (with a minimum of 20 days).
- Personal development budget (books, courses, conferences).
- Room to grow: There are constant opportunities to learn more and take on new responsibilities.
- You’ll be employed directly at AppSignal, through an EOR (Employer of Record), or through long-term contracting. We’ll find a fitting solution together, based on your location and personal preferences.
We're a company of people from all sorts of education and backgrounds. Each with our own talents and flaws. But we would love to be even more diverse in thought and background. And more diverse in talents and flaws as well 😉
We welcome people of all backgrounds, ages, genders, and orientations to apply for this position. Join us if you value a company where you can feel safe, and work together with a team full of diverse ideas. We want you to feel that you make a difference by doing your best work and that the rest of the team also sees and values that. Read our diversity page for more information on this.
If you have any questions about what it’s like to work at AppSignal, you’re welcome to contact one of our internal counselors. Your questions will stay confidential, not be shared internally, and will certainly not influence your hiring chances.
Why you'll love working with us
At AppSignal we try to be amazing in everything we do. From design, the blog, to code quality, and support, our upgrade policies, and business operations.
If you like how we work together at AppSignal, you should apply. Our salaries are competitive and we have some great perks, but our vision and culture should be the primary reason you want to work with us.
Applying from outside the Netherlands/CET timezone
For this role we prefer applicants to reside within the CET±4h timezone. This is a remote job, but we occasionally meet in the Netherlands. We prefer that you reside at a reasonable travel distance (train journey or short flight, expenses covered).
This job is closed
You can stay up to date about future job posts by subscribing to our jobs mailing list.